I had the pleasure of spending the weekend with Corrie, and she swears by this white chicken chili recipe. I can’t wait to make it.
Forget whatever you think you know about broccoli salad. This one has no mayo, and it’s also like a ceviche — the vinegar in the dressing “cooks” the broccoli overnight leaving it perfectly al dente for eating.
Margaret’s (Orpha Lou’s) Broccoli Salad
- 2 bunches – broccoli – chopped
- 1 small bunch of green onion – chopped with lots of green parts too
- 1 cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of slivered almonds – toasted
- 1 pack – crisp bacon – crumbled
Toss together all ingredients and refrigerate, except for almonds and bacon. Pour half of the dressing over the mixture and chill overnight. Toss almonds and bacon right before serving!
Poppy Seed Dressing – Makes 1 quart or enough for 2+ batches of salad (this can be easily halved!)
- 2/3 C white vinegar
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- blend until sugar dissolves (in blender or in a jar – shaken)
- 2 teaspoons mustard (I use the yellow hotdog kind)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups of oil (I use canola)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of poppy seeds (It is best to use fresh poppy seeds, if they are black and stale, the dressing may taste stale as well. Real fresh poppy seeds are a deep dark navy blue. I use http://www.penzeys.com.)
Store in refrigerator.
Emmy’s family makes this amazing, easy cornbread recipe. It’s really the best I’ve never had. It’s moist and actually had corn in it. It’s great with chili or toasted with some jam for breakfast.
- 1 package Cotton Pickin’ Cornbread mix (or 1 box Jiffy Cornbread mix — use Cotton Pickin’ if available. I can mail you some.)
- 1/4 cup oil (I use veggie)
- 8 oz sour cream (I use fat free)
- 8 oz cream corn (note this is < 1 can)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- dash of sugar
Mix and pour into 9″ pie pan. Bake on 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Rub with stick of butter when hot and first out of the oven.
My Tia Kathy makes the best fresh cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. It’s dramatically better than the canned stuff, and it’s incredibly easy to make.
1 bag(12oz) fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup apple cider
Boil over medium heat. Reduce to simmer 10 min.
May be made days ahead.
Double the recipe for more than 4-6. Easy!
This is hands-down the best apple cake I’ve ever had, and it’s a very simple recipe. I got this recipe from a friend last week, and I think I’m going to make it again for Thanksgiving.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oil (or 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/2 cup oil – I use the applesauce mix)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar (You can use ½ the sugar, but I use full)
- 3-4 cups chopped apples ( I used two Honeycrisp and one Golden Delicious. Any type will do. Peel and core the apples, then cut them into 1/4 in. slices, and then cut the slices into three pieces.)
- 2 eggs
Mix all ingredients together. Bake for 60 minutes at 350 in greased spring form pan. If you don’t have a spring form pan, a bunt cake pan will work, but be careful removing it.
I figured it was time to dust off the ol’ blog. This easy, delicious salad comes from my late great uncle and makes a great addition to a summer BBQ.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup veggie oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 oz) can French-style green beans, drained
- 1 (16 oz) can small-sized sweet English peas, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 (2 oz) jar diced pimento, drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
Mix sugar, vinegar, veggie oil, pepper and salt in sauce pan; bring to a boil. Cool. Toss dressing with remaining ingredients. Chill. Best if made the day before to let veggies marinade longer.
We made this while Annie was here last weekend. It’s a chunky quac and delicious. Everything is to taste.
- 3 avocados, diced large
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 c. chopped cilantro
- t. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- splash of balsamic vinegar
This is a taste as you go recipe. The balsamic was an improve move because it tasted like it needed more acid. Mix together (but not too much) and serve with delicious tortilla chips.