Forget whatever you think you know about broccoli salad. This one has no mayo, and it’s also like a ceviche — the vinegar in the dressing “cooks” the broccoli overnight leaving it perfectly al dente for eating.
Margaret’s (Orpha Lou’s) Broccoli Salad
- 2 bunches – broccoli – chopped
- 1 small bunch of green onion – chopped with lots of green parts too
- 1 cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of slivered almonds – toasted
- 1 pack – crisp bacon – crumbled
Toss together all ingredients and refrigerate, except for almonds and bacon. Pour half of the dressing over the mixture and chill overnight. Toss almonds and bacon right before serving!
Poppy Seed Dressing – Makes 1 quart or enough for 2+ batches of salad (this can be easily halved!)
- 2/3 C white vinegar
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- blend until sugar dissolves (in blender or in a jar – shaken)
- 2 teaspoons mustard (I use the yellow hotdog kind)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups of oil (I use canola)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of poppy seeds (It is best to use fresh poppy seeds, if they are black and stale, the dressing may taste stale as well. Real fresh poppy seeds are a deep dark navy blue. I use http://www.penzeys.com.)
Store in refrigerator.