Posted By Annie
Girls – this is a great recipe to use any veggies that are about to go bad (peppers, spinach, etc) you can make it as elaborate or simple as you wish. I don’t typically buy the ingredients, but just keep around the eggs and parm (substituted for the swiss) and then use veggies I have. It’s a great way to clean out the fridge, and it’s good warm or at room temp. Also, I don’t use a skillet in the oven. I just put the vegetables in a baking dish and pour the eggs over.
The rosemary and cream cheese are musts.
Love you –
(The picture is not actually Annie’s, but I’m sure hers is equally beautiful.)
Great for make-ahead brunch, tailgate lunches, and picnics of any kind, frittatas can be made in advance and served at room temperature.
Serves 4 to 6
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 red potatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, cut into ¼-inch rounds
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1 cup firmly packed spinach, washed, drained, and stems removed
10 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese (I use parm)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup cream cheese
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil and butter in a 12-inch, ovenproof, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and onion and cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light brown and crispy.
3. Add the zucchini and red bell pepper and stir and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, until the zucchini is lightly cooked but still crunchy. Add the spinach and stir and cook about 1 minute longer, until the spinach wilts.
4. Whisk together the eggs, Gruyère, salt, and pepper in a bowl and pour over the vegetables. Remove the skillet from the heat and gently shake the skillet to distribute the eggs evenly through the mixture. Divide the cream cheese into ¼-inch pieces and distribute evenly on top of the egg mixture. Sprinkle with rosemary.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, uncovered, just until the eggs set. Remove from the oven, cut into wedges, and serve immediately, or let cool and serve at room temperature. Frittata can be made up to 2 hours in advance.